Freeport Resources Ltd.Freeport Resources Ltd.
Projects

Red Rose Mine

tram-tower-sq
Email 'History' to a friendShow printable version of 'History' in a New Window
Highlights  |   Detailed Geology  |   Mine Summary  |   History  |   Photo Gallery  |   Maps  |  
Media Library

History

1912:
The Red Rose gold-silver showing was discovered near Red Rose Creek, with limited exploration of gold/silver until 1919.

1923:
Scheelite, a tungsten ore, was discovered in the Red Rose vein further up the same hillside.

1939:
Consolidated Mining and Smelting Co. of Canada Ltd., (Cominco) optioned the claims and conducted exploration drilling in 1940.

1941:
The tungsten mine and mill were built on the site, operating until November 1943.

1951:

The property was leased by Western Tungsten Copper Mines Limited, the mill was enlarged to 126 tonnes (140 tons) a day and mining began by the end of the year.

1954:
The mine and mill were shut down in December due to decrease in tungsten demand.

1987:
Freeport completed a two-hole drilling program with recommendations for surface trenching, sampling, soil geochemistry, geophysics, as well as further drilling to more fully test the extent of the Red Rose vein and related structures. The drilling program indicated continuity of the Red Rose vein 100m below the lowest workings in the mine.

1988:
Freeport acquires interest, and purchases crown grants.